MINDSET: 3 ways setbacks can propel you forward
Most of us aren’t strangers to setbacks. But regardless of how small (or big) these roadblocks may be, it doesn’t mean you have to call it quits. Here are three ways setbacks can actually propel you forward.
1. Setbacks can provide purpose and shift your motivation.
Pay attention to how setbacks can peel back the layers and reveal what’s really important. As a result, commitments can become even stronger and goals more meaningful.
2. Setbacks test your grit.
We all get knocked down, but grit is the ability to persevere in the face of uncertain outcomes. When you keep at it, you can experience that exhilaration from overcoming the odds.
3. Setbacks allow you to guide others.
When you’re facing a setback, it’s great to have someone in your corner who’s been there before. And when you’ve overcome your obstacle, then you can be that person for someone else.
Get ready for your next setback.
When you hit a setback, or a setback hits you, try these steps:
1. Pause and assess all the implications. Look deeper into the meaning of the setback. What is it trying to teach you? What can you gain?
2. Reflect on where you were going. Was it aligned with your values? Was it taking you away from something more meaningful in your life?
3. Look to the future. What should be different next time? What do you need to change in your journey to your goal? What have you learned from the setback?
4. Evaluate your support system. Connect with people who have been where you are and engage in mutual motivation.
5. Decide to move forward. Even if you can’t do what you did before, what can you do? Make a list of the ways you can mentally and physically improve yourself.
6. Take action. Now put it into play. Once you accept the setback and understand that it’s here to help you grow, take the action that serves your highest intention and deepest values. This is your time to get back up and try again.